Monday, April 5, 2010

Indeterminate Calculus

Here we are in calc class,
cutting the world into measurable pieces,
making the unexpected predictable,
explaining change and time
but suddenly I am lost,

these graphs offer no insight,
there is no equation for this.
Erase what you have learned, and breathe
deep in this convoluted world
there must be something unpredictable
something that disobeys these algorithms
and changes our perception
of beauty, of ugliness, of the nature of our soul.
Can it be connected?
Can this world of definitions and labels,
really be so simple as causal relationships?

or are we gravitating, slowly
inching closer to the final state
our destiny dictating our present,
and our past a mere explanation
of how we got here.

but now I feel it,
pulling me forward,
like my heart is leaving my chest
like there is a hand yanking it
into the future
into some semblance of a plan.

and now I begin to wonder:
How do I calculate the surface area,
of this fabric that is my life?

2 comments:

  1. Ah Calculus, my sympathies dear friend.

    Is this any kind of poetic format? I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. none that I know of, it does seem to flow well though, so it might be one somewhere

    ReplyDelete