Saturday, March 6, 2010

Blooming from the Mud

I read a book about India called "The White Tiger" an excellent book, I cannot praise it enough. This poem is inspired by that dark dark book

Lotus
I feel the liquid mud,
sucking me under.
Its vacuum stifling my movement,
and I work the rice paddy all day.

The water streaming, the sweat dripping,
Liquid heat in the wet season,
and stuck, I am slowly drowning,
and I work the rice paddy all day.

yet I keep my head up,
I keep my black-hole eyes fixed
on the azure skies,
on the winged ones and the billowy white travelers
who fly far away from here,
while I work the rice paddy all day.

Father is dead now
and mother is dying,
soon my roots will be torn,
my legs will be free to run,
far away

I will keep my head up,
and out of this filth I will rise
and like a lotus,
I will bloom,
I will bloom

No comments:

Post a Comment