Sunday, June 6, 2010

My dislike of general corporate structure

This poem is about how I feel whenever I have to write a resume or justify myself to others. Also this is how I feel about big corporations or the government. I feel like we have become such a clean, sterile society and that to get anywhere in life we have to force our way in, we cannot be passively hoping someone notices, we have to brag about ourselves incessantly so that the people around us begin believing it. We have to act like arrogant jerks and proclaim that we are the pinnacle of human evolution, that we have all the answers, that we can do anything, that we agree with whatever the boss says, and make a point of humiliating anyone who gets in our way to the top.

Not Again

Justify your existence please,
Do an essay on why you matter,
fill out this resume sheet
with your experience
and qualifications for living.
We will get back to you
eventually if we feel you are worth
keeping around. Then there is
the interview in a gray room
with gray men asking ambiguities:

"Why do you feel you are a good fit for
modern society?"
"Describe yourself with 6 adjectives"
"What is your favorite way to die?"

the last is merely implied,
I rattle off the requested prepackaged data,
and I mention that I would love nothing more
than to work my fingers to the bone until I die.
They nod precisely in unison,
their software in sync
with company policy.

They say congratulations,
like one gives condolences
to the living.


this is a semi-random song I really like, the musicianship is absolutely amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment